Monday, March 18, 2013

Prank Call kid comes back


A lot of pretty cool stuff has happened this week. So most first, we called M last Tuesday night and he told us he was coming back to Karlovac on the first weekend of April, we asked if he wanted to be baptized then and he said "zašto ne (why not)". So now he's back on date and that's way awesome. 
Also last week we met with "I" (one of the prank call kids) on Wednesday to help him study for English. While we were there, Elder and Sister Higbee came in the church and waved and said hi to 'I' (calling him by name) and asked him how he was doing. I was extremely confused as to how the Higbee's knew his name. Later we asked, and turns out that the Higbee's, on Sunday, had gone to visit one of our less active members named 'I' (who was baptized a few months ago but she never really came back to church). While they where at her house they met I's little brother 'I' (yes their parents pretty much named them the same name) and yes, that 'I' was the same 'I' who prank called us the day before, and who we are now teaching English. Coincidence?! I Think Not! 
We had a Zone Conference this week and we talked about the Book of Mormon the whole time. Maybe for family night or something, I would recommend to you all reading chapter 5 in preach my gospel. Also this week for our family history class we had the "Why we do family history" lesson. The Higbees talked about the plan of salvation and about temples and stuff. We had 5 non-members there, and they all seemed to really like it. Our English student, N, came and really liked it. We're trying really hard to sort of ease him into the gospel. He's not really a religious guy, but he's super cool and nice and would be an awesome young men's president or something.
This week we started visiting with a less active member named L. She joined the church when she was 10, but as a teenager got into drugs and drinking and stuff. She is 20 and has a 3 year old son with autism. There is some program for autistic kids called "floor time", developed by Dr. Stanley I. Greenspan, that she is interested in, and was wondering if I could ask you to see if you can find some kind of DVD about it that you can get in America, because they don't have it here. It's fine if it's just English because her English is pretty much perfect.
As for some other fun stuff that happened this week:
We spent about 4 or 5 hours total on Wednesday and Thursday trying to find a non-existent address.
We got kind of lost trying to find another address in the neighborhood called "Gaza" (which we've been lost in before), and we suspect that this address may also not exist (darn sister missionaries filling out teaching records with wrong addresses).
We ran into another lady, tracting, who speaks perfect English just like a British person (accent included).
I finally won a game of ping-pong this week. I'm actually getting pretty good, it's just that almost everyone in Croatia, it seems, is good at ping-pong.
Elder Marcek was trying to skinnify a tie yesterday, and when he went to iron out the fabric he forgot to turn down the heat on the iron, and the tie was 100% polyester, so he lost about 1/4 of the tie, and our iron became coated in melted plastic.
We made chocolate chip cookies not once, but 2 times this week, and they don't sell chocolate chips here, so you have to cut up chunks of chocolate yourself.
We played a game in English class where everyone writes down a bunch of words and puts them in a bowl, and then people take turns pulling them out and trying to describe them in English and everyone guesses what the word is (kind of like Taboo, but way harder and funnier because it's in a language you don't speak very well). N just opened his dictionary and wrote random words, so people had to try to describe things like "gloom", "nub", and "pipeline". 'I' came to the class with everyone else on Thursday, and of course one of the words he put (being 15 years old) was "fart". Also one of our students described the word "devour" as "when you are eating something without mercy".
 Anyway, I love you guys and hope you have a great week! Also I just realized that mother's day is in only a month and a half, and I get to Skype call you guys!
Love Schyler.

No comments:

Post a Comment