Monday, July 1, 2013

A baptism!


Wow! This last week was pretty crazy! The zone activity at Plitvica was awesome, and really wet. We went on exchanges with the Elders in Zadar, which was awesome, it's a really beautiful city. Once we got there though, we realized that the sisters there were going on exchanges in Karlovac, and we hadn't coordinated how we were going to get back, so arranging how everyone was going to get back to their areas was not so fun. We had another super awesome mission leadership council with the other zone leaders on Friday, and it was once again just super amazing and spiritual. 



 And on Saturday we had Jordan's baptism. We were going to do it in the sea, but we decided not to because we couldn't find a good place close by, where there wouldn't be a ton of people, so we just decided to do it in the font in the church. We went to the church at about 10:00 to set up the font, and then it took about 2 hours to fill with water. The baptism went pretty well. It took 3 times though. Jordan wanted his friend, Dragan,(who was the first member in Rijeka) to baptize him. We were a little concerned about that, because Dragan is 77 and has back problems and stuff. We had Elder Širković stand in the font too, to help, in case he couldn't do it alone (and it's good that we thought of that because Dragan really couldn't get him all the way under by him self). Yesterday in sacrament meeting Jordan was confirmed by Ivan Haći, the first counselor in the branch presidency.


 I can't remember if I told you this before, but the European Area presidency designated June as the month of inviting, and along with that we made it a mission goal to invite 10,000 people to church, as a mission. At the beginning of this week we were only about half way there, but this week everyone worked really hard, and we ended up getting a couple hundred over by the end of last night.

This will be my first 4th of July not in America, and it will be my first, not being a teenager. I think it's funny that when I tell people (Croatian people and other missionaries and stuff) that I'm still only 19, they are all surprised and thought I was older. 

There is still quite a bit of partying here though, because today Croatia entered the European Union. Keep being awesome, and thanks for the package, I haven't eaten anything or opened the letters, because I'm waiting till tomorrow. I love you guys!

Schyler

Here is Jordans baptismal service. From left to right the people are: Liljana(member & Dragans niece), Anđelo (14 kid who we started teaching English, but came to the open house, and church last week, and the baptism, so now we are going to teach his family), Dragan (the old guy who did the baptizing), Jordan, Elder Širković, Me, Ladislav (member, hiding behind me), one of Jordans friends, Ivan Mičić (member who is 21 and was baptised about a year ago and now we're working on him getting the Melchezedik priesthood and going on a mision), Zdravko (member), Salvatore (one of our new investigators hiding behind Zdravko in the stripey shirt), Emma Hači (22 and one of the first and most awesome members in Rijeka), Sister Babbel, Sister Palmer, and I think Sister Jolly hiding behind her. I'm not sure who's hair is at the bottom. Also you can see the baptismal prayer in Croatian written on the whiteboard behind us.



Me at a castle called Trsat, last week.






 Me, by a church, which is like 1000 years old or something, in Zadar, called the Sveti Donut (yes it sounds almost like sweaty douhgnut).
 



"Igranje" means playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment